XaoS is free software. One of the most significant rights its license grants to you is the right to freely get, study and improve its source code.
XaoS has open development model. All development is coordinated via the Google Code website. Development versions are available via Subversion, so if you are interested in the future of XaoS, give the latest source a try! We also have a several discussion groups, which you can join if you want to discuss XaoS with others or participate in the development process.
If you want to do some development, you are encouraged to send your work back to the authors; if it is well done, it will be added to the next release. All changes should be submitted to the Google Code issue tracker.
XaoS is quite easily extensible. You might want to read a bit about its internals in the file doc/xaosdev.info. XaoS is also portable, so if it doesn’t work on your favorite platform (or there is just an old version available), you could quite easily port it.
XaoS needs volunteers to make it the best fractal program it can be! We have many ideas for the future improvement of XaoS. The following tasks open to volunteers:
- Improving the documentation via the Wiki (and improving the DokuWiki converter).
- Compiling binaries for your favorite operating system.
- Reviewing the source code, adding comments, and checking lines which generate warnings during compilation.
- Creating additional tutorials and examples.
- Translating XaoS into your language.
- Implementing feature requests.
- Fixing outstanding bugs.
If you would like to volunteer, join the mailing lists and let us know. We would be happy to help you get started!